As all of our recipes, this recipe makes 4 servings and takes about 30 minutes to make.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 small fresh red chili peppers (less if you don’t want the soup too spicy)
- 1 tbsp chopped lemon grass
- 2 1/8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 1 lime
- Chop the garlic, shallots and lemon grass.
- Chop the chili (make sure you wash your hands afterwards and don’t touch your face!)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over low heat.
- Cook garlic, shallots, chilies, and lemongrass in oil until fragrant (be careful not to burn the garlic).
- Add pumpkin and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook until pumpkin softens.
- In a blender, blend until smooth.
- Strain out the lemon grass since the fibers can be tough.
- Serve with a couple of basil leaves on top and squeeze a few drops of lime over the soup.