Taste of Summer Salad with Cucumber, Dill and Red Onion
Easy refreshing salad to serve alongside grilled meat. Perfect mix of flavors and textures. Great salad to add to the 4thof July barbeque!
- 1 small red onion or sweet onion
- 2 cucumbers
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and slice the onion thinly.
- Place onion slices in a bowl and cover with ice water. Let stand about 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in olive oil. Let cool.
- While vinegar is cooling, peel cucumbers. Split the cucumber in half lengthwise and scape out the center (the seeds) with a spoon. Slice the cucumber thinly.
- Place cucumbers in a medium mixing bowl, add drained onions, and sweetened vinegar. Sprinkle with chopped dill, salt, and pepper. Toss to mix.
- Cover and place in the fridge until it’s time to serve.