- ¼ cup dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- 1 1-pound beef flank steak
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 10-ounce package frozen spinach
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- Wooden toothpicks
- Whole wheat couscous
- Lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber
- Thaw and drain the spinach well.
- In a small bowl soak the dried tomatoes in enough hot water to cover for 10 minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes and cucumber and mix them with the lettuce in a bowl for serving and put to the side.
- Chop the basil and put to the side.
- Drain the tomatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Trim the meat of separable fat.
- Pre-heat the oven on 160 degrees.
- Score the meat by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals in a diamond pattern on both sides. Place meat between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
- Working from center to edges, pound with flat side of a meat mallet into 12x8-inch rectangle. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle meat with the salt and pepper.
- Spread the spinach over the steak. Sprinkle with the softened tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and basil.
- Roll the steak up from a short side. Secure with wooden toothpicks at 1-inch intervals, starting 1/2 inch from one end. Cut between the toothpicks into eight 1-inch-thick slices.
- Place slices, cut sides down, on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat to desired doneness, turning once.
- Before serving, remove the toothpicks.
- Cook the couscous according to the direction on the box while the meat is cooking.
- Serve the meat, couscous and salad.