- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup firm tofu
- 1 medium beet
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus some for frying
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- All purpose flour for dipping
- Whole wheat burger buns
- 1 8-oz can of corn
- ½ red onion
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup
- fresh basil leaves
- Chop the onion finely.
- Drain the corn.
- Mix the corn, onion, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl
- Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. Taste for seasoning.
- Cook the rice (cook well) and let cool.
- Slice the tomatoes and put aside.
- Rinse the lettuce leafs and put aside.
- Grate the tofu and beets.
- Mix the cooked rice, tofu, beet, bread crumbs, vinegar, oil and basil in a bowl.
- Season and shape into six flat cakes.
- Dip the flat cakes in the flour and fry in a skillet with a little oil over high heat for 2 minutes on each side.
- Turn down the heat and fry for an additional 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve the burgers on a bun with the lettuce, tomatoes, your favorite condiments and the corn salad.