An upcoming recipe in our menu. No, we haven’t gotten tired of pumpkin yet. It’s too good and too healthy to get tired of!
- 1 pkg whole-grain pasta
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large carrot
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped into small chunks
- 1 small zucchini
- 6 oz of roasted red pepper
- 15 oz pumpkin purée
- 1 ¼ cup pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp low-fat plain cream cheese
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, tomato and zucchini and set aside.
- Shred the carrot finely and set aside.
- Drain the roasted red peppers and chop them. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions (undercook it slightly as it will continue to cook a bit in the sauce).
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken until done. Drain any fat, return pan with chicken to stove and add onion and garlic. Sauté chicken mixture until onions is translucent. Add carrot, tomato and zucchini and sauté for about 3 to 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add red pepper, pumpkin purée and pasta sauce (if mixture is too thick, add a bit of water). Cover and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, until zucchini is soft. Add cream cheese, then turn off heat and let cream cheese melt.
- Add pasta and mix, cover and let stand for 2 minutes.