- If you are new to the LCHF/keto lifestyle there are some common newbie mistakes to look out for. These are mistakes which can prevent you from getting all the benefits from the lifestyle.
1. You are not eating enough fat
We’ve been told to avoid fat since we were children, so it can be difficult to change from low-fat to full-fat. But you need to eat full fat cheese. Eat the skin off of your chicken. Drown your broccoli in butter. Yes, all of it.
2. Sneaky carbs If you don't keep an eye out for sneaky carbs it's easy to eat too many. They are hiding in cream, sour cream and nuts. Keep an eye out for portion control and you will be fine. 3. Drink lots of water While on LCHF/keto you must drink a lot of water since it is dispelled very quickly. When this happens, electrolytes are excreted through your urine and it’s VERY important to replenish them. Drink water and other non-sugar non-caffeine drinks.
4. Too many changes at once This one is very important and the most common mistake. Changing from a lifestyle of processed junk and no exercise to the LCHF/keto lifestyle and active lifestyle are opposite ends of the extremes. Start with focusing on the food first, and add exercise a couple of weeks later. You don’t want to get burnt out and then give up.
5. Too much protein You will find that in the beginning you will most likely drop a lot of weight (mostly water). At some point, your body will level off to roughly 1-2 pounds a week (depending on how much you have to lose) or you might actually stall and not lose anything. If this is the case, I would definitely check on your protein intake. Remember, on LCHF/keto, fat is your main source of energy. You should be eating around 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs.
Look out for these newbie mistakes, and you will see faster results. As always, happy to answer any questions you might have!
Avocado - a great source of fat and vitamins!