Baked Eggplant & Mozzarella
- 2 eggplants
- 3 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 8 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 10 oz of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh garlic
- Turn on the oven on 400° degrees.
- Chop the onion and put to the side.
- Crush the garlic and put to the side.
- Slice the mozzarella cheese and put to the side.
- Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise.
- Brush the eggplant with 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Put the eggplant on a baking sheet with the cut side up.
- Place the eggplant in the oven and roast them for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up a frying pan on medium pan and add the remaining olive oil.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until the onion is soft and start to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and cover each half with sauce and two of the mozzarella slices.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and return to the oven for 4 to 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Take the eggplants out of the oven as soon as the cheese is melted and sprinkle with basil and serve.